Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Homemade Peppermint Hot Cocoa




Ahhh it's time to get in the Christmas spirit. But how can we get in the spirit when we all know that the snow is coming (AKA People freak out and forget how to drive in the snow, thus a plethora of accidents) It happens every year. Crazy Holiday shoppers! I'm not even kidding while walking through Walmart a woman in front of us Loudly proclaims " I FREAKIN HATE RUDE HOLIDAY SHOPPERS." Well excuse me. I've never seen so many heads turn at once and they looked right at us! It wasn't us, Scouts Honor, and I'm not even a scout! Also Christmas music... It's all I'm listening to!! I have a serious addiction to christmas music, Love It, Love it, Love it.

Also I thought that I would just let everyone know this year my color theme for christmas is silver, white, and blue's.
And you all need to check out ,
www.fancyflours.com
Definitely an amazing site for Cookie Cutters, Flavorings, Colored Sugars, Sprinkles and much much more.

So since today is the 1st of December and we had the first snowfall I thought, Peppermint Hot Cocoa, how perfect is that?! I also plan on giving it out as Christmas presents with homemade marshmallows. No time like the present! Lemme tell you what; this was the creamiest hot chocolate I have ever had, hands down! I sat in an arm chair reading copious cookbooks watching the snow fall and enjoyed the right cocoa. A fireplace would have only made this picture even more beautiful!

NOTE* I made myself a singling serving I used 2 tablespoons of the cocoa, and 1/8 cup hot water and a cup of milk and nuked it :) Yes, I said Nuke. I packaged up the rest of the peppermint cocoa mix in plastic Ziploc bags.


So here's to starting the Christmas season out right!

Homemade Peppermint Hot Cocoa

Ingredients:

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
1/3 cup boiling water
3 1/2 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup half-and-half cream
1/2 cup of candy canes

Directions

Add about 10 or 12 mini Candy canes in a food processor and grind them up until they are powdery.

Combine the cocoa, candy cane, sugar and pinch of salt in a saucepan. Stir in the boiling water. Bring this mixture to an easy boil while you stir. Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes. Watch that it doesn't scorch. Stir in 3 1/2 cups of milk and heat until very hot, but do not boil! Remove from heat and add vanilla. Divide between 4 mugs. Add the cream to the mugs of cocoa to cool it to drinking temperature. Add whipped cream and crushed candy canes on the top and enjoy .

No comments: